Sunday, January 20, 2013

Reflections on 40 years of Roe vs. Wade--Part 3

Forgive me if I take the issue of abortion personally. It’s hard not to; Roe vs. Wade was ten years old when I was born, which means that I am missing peers, classmates, and friends. In fact, Roe vs. Wade declared that it was permissable to kill me. So, I apologize for taking abortion so personally, but for me and all those who dwelt in the womb in the past forty years, it is personal. That is really the point. We aren’t talking about globs of tissue or some other creature, we are talking about human beings. That is simple science; when conception happens, you have a new life, a new human being. And every human being should be protected. If the child in the womb isn’t a human being, then no justification for abortion is needed. If the child in the womb is a human being (and it is!) then no justification is sufficient. A hard case, when the life of a mother is in jeopardy, then is the difficult ethical choice between the lives of two human beings. But even that decision respects the life of both child and mother, declaring that every human being should be protected.

God loves every individual life; He loves you and me. The psalmist declares, “My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.” Every life has value, because every life has been formed and shaped by God. The stage of development doesn’t matter; old and young, embryo and elderly, are all protected. The effects of sin don’t matter; the disabled and the infirm are all worthy of dignity, respect, and life.

No comments: